Friday, August 3, 2012

Dan Henry

20 Minutes Before Take Off




Side A
Prelude
Two Right People
Breakin' up
How Do You Nurse A Heartache
Overnite Affair
I'm In Love Again

Side B
20 Minute Suite
    Where Are You
    Before Take-Off
    After Take-Off
Waiting For Someone
Glad You're Back
A Very Special Love Affair





Dan Henry is or should I say, “are” two people, namely:
Mr. Danee Samonte or better known as concert producer and DJ,  Steve O’Neal;  and the late
Mr. Henry Toribio, brother of Mr. Lito Toribio, drummer par excellence, of The ElectroManiac Band.

One of my favorite classic songs is the 20 minutes before take off by Dan Henry. I thought it was performed by an American and I kept on searching for a photo of that artist. Luckily, a guy mentioned this on Imeem that it's an OPM (Original Pilipino Music) and they are DANEE SAMONTE & HENRY TORIBIO. I didn't know that! And the most interesting part is that one of my favorite old school DJ's is actually behind that duo! I am talking about Steve O'neal (Danee) of RJ100, the best FM station that plays the Greatest and the Latest hits!

Here are some of his comments on YouTube:
daneesamonte: Partially true. Henry died but I'm still alive

daneesamonte: Actually, I wrote the song and Henry did the music arrangement. Henry passed away in 1988.

daneesamonte: Were you one of Henry's pals who lived in Santa Mesa? The CD was released by BMG in 2000 but has been out of stock since 2004. 20 Minutes Before Take Off as a single though is contained in 3 different OPM compilations still available in the market

daneesamonte: "20 Minutes After Take Off" was not a sequel but part of "20 Minute Suite*. It contains 3 songs back to back: Where Are You (Instrumental) 20 Minutes Before Take-Off and 20 Minutes After Take-Off'. 20 Minute Suite is from our first album released in 1978 entitled "A Very Special Love Affair"

daneesamonte: We wish it were released internationally but we didn't get lucky. But Im not complaining because this song has been my legacy in the business. Im sure Henry feels the same even if he's now in Rock & Roll Heaven. We recorded the song with just a couple of session musicians (bass player and drums) at Sampaguita Pictures studios Greenhills in 1978.. Henry played acoustic piano and guitar, I played keyboard and did all the effects. It was a fun session and very simple.

daneesamonte: Hi, Both of us did. solo parts on the verses and unison on the refrain parts. We also played instruments in the recording

daneesamonte: Hi ! There are actually 3 versions of this album. The first was released in 1978 by Disc Corporation. It had a picture of me and Henry on the back. The 2nd version (same contents) released by Warner (WEA) back in 1981 had a huge clock on its cover without any pictures. The 3rd version was a CD and contained old and new versions of the songs and was released by Sony/BMG with our pictures again. All 3 releases are out of stock.


For audio, visit/subscribe: 
YouTube: OPM Vinyl Playlist

To look for the album / download / sampler, click below link:
https://amzn.to/2UJBiJr
https://amzn.to/2XsfQpg







6 comments:

  1. one of the most iconic OPM Songs indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello danee where are you now?are you still writing a song?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danee samonte I'am bernard samonte I was young then when I met you where are you now? Are you still writing a song?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sir , I am really interested in having a copy of this Vinyl. Do you have any idea on where I can get a copy? Thank you

    ReplyDelete